One of the most profound insights that I have developed when
reading Dorothy Rowe’s book Beyond Fear
is the idea that we construct our
realities and these constructions are developed (and continue to be
reconstructed) when we are children.
This insight has been profound for me because when I realised
that how I saw the world was constructed, or as I understood the word, created, and therefore could be
“uncreated,” or re-constructed, I felt empowered to change my life. Rather than being fixed, or a product of my
genes or circumstances, I could actively reshape how I saw the world, thus
empowering me as an autonomous individual.
As I reflect now about this revelation, I now understand that I needed
to develop this insight, any other construction of reality was perceived as too
confining and determinist. What I didn’t
realise then but do now is that my extraverted nature and desire to be free
from social constraints was another reason that the social construction of
reality appealed to me.
As my knowledge of post-structuralism and Personal Construct
Theory developed I believed that if others understood how their realities have
been constructed, and how their constructions are based on their interpretation
of their social, historical, cultural, political and economic circumstances, and
how they interpreted what happened to them, that they would be just as awed and
interested as I was. How wrong I was.
It was not that individuals did not want to understand or
were not interested, it was just that they had their own constructions of the
world and a “post-structuralist” way (as I began to interpret it), of seeing
the world was not appealing or conflicted with their pre-existing conceptual
paradigm. Some individuals believe that
their reality is preordained or influenced by some outside force, such as deity
or even astrology. As I engaged on many
philosophical debates with family and friends, I gradually learned that for
some of us earthly beings, there is not the overarching need to be autonomous.
Some people want to think that fate plays a role in which direction they take,
and influence how they think and feel.
I am not arguing that individuals who believe in outside
forces, such as deities or astrology, are not autonomous. They do act independently and understand that
they play a pivotal role in which direction they take or how they feel. The difference is that some people believe
that they cannot change their
interpretations. This is the pivotal
difference. If you believe you can
change the way you see the world, it means that you have the ability to change
your life, not anything else, whether it is fate, the stars, or a deity.
Thus, after many years of operating within this framework I
believe that the social and personal construction of reality is the accurate
paradigm for me. However, the emphasis
is for me, as I know that it will
never be the way everyone, or even many people, see the world, nevertheless I am
grateful for the opportunity.
No comments:
Post a Comment